1906-1980 Aroha Womens Hockey Club
Formed at a meeting on May 3rd 1906, the Aroha Women's Hockey Club was created as an offshoot of the Goodwood Baptist Church young ladies bible class, open to young women in the church over 16 years of age. The name Aroha means love and friendship in Tahitian. Aroha had not at first intended to play any matches, but as the club mastered the rudiments of the game, it was felt that the level of interest would increase if matches were played. The opening match was played against the local Methodist Club, and the first annual report of 1907 records the pleasure team members felt in inflicting a defeat of 9 goals to nil.
The club joined the South Australian Women's Hockey Association in 1909. The club had an enviable record in its 74 seasons existence, playing in 51 A grade finals between 1909 and 1980 and winning 26.
Aroha set many precedents. It was the first club to throw away the old school tunic and play in a divided skirt. Aroha led the way in fielding junior teams. In its first season, the junior team won one game 20 goals to nil. Of the club's many State and Australian representatives, the most honoured was Evelyn ("Taz") Tazewell, who captained SA for 16 years from 1920 and was All-Australian 19 times.
According to her Sport Australia Hall of Fame citation, Evelyn Tazewell was the finest women's hockey player of her time. She enjoyed a career in the sport as player, coach, umpire and administrator that spanned four decades to the 1960s. Among many important contributions to the sport, she was instrumental in the establishment of the Women's Memorial Playing Fields at St Mary's, Adelaide.
1920 Elected President of the All-Australian Women's Hockey Association
1920-36 Captained the South Australian women's hockey team
1920-65 State Delegate of the All-Australian Women's Hockey Association
1953 Delegate to the International Federation of Women's Hockey Associations
1959 Delegate to the International Federation of Women's Hockey Associations
1985 Inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame